Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures to Overhaul Your Smile
Want to know more about cosmetic dentistry in Cedar Park, TX
Cosmetic dentistry is a fast growing area of dentistry, and with it, you can improve and repair your smile in just a few hours! Here are a few cosmetic dental procedures available from Parmer Oaks Dental Care, our dental practice located in Cedar Park.
There are several reasons your teeth become stained including age, smoking, eating certain foods, chewing tobacco, and drinking coffee and/or tea. Having discolored teeth often affects a person's self-esteem, but luckily it is a problem that your dentist can fix!
Here are two offered types of procedures that can whiten your teeth:
- In-Office Procedure: This procedure is quick and convenient. Your doctor applies a whitening gel on your teeth before exposing them to a dental light to speed up the process. Your dentist then repeats these steps several times during the hour-long procedure to get the best results.
- Take-Home Kit: If you don't have time to go to your dentist, you may need to use a doctor provided home kit. This kit consists of trays that you fill with gel and place on your upper and lower teeth. If your dental stains are severe, you may need to repeat the process.
Veneers are an aesthetic fix for unsightly teeth. They are made of thin porcelain and used to resurface an individual's teeth, especially if they're damaged. They fix a variety of issues, such as:
- Stained or discolored teeth, usually a result of drinking coffee or tea, poor hygiene, smoking, chewing tobacco, or tetracycline-containing medication.
- Crooked, overcrowded, and generally irregularly shaped teeth.
The procedure is simple and begins when your doctor first examines your teeth and assess whether veneers are right for you. If they decide that you are a good candidate, they'll first deal with any underlying issues, like cavities. Following this, they'll remove some enamel from the surface of your teeth so that you don't feel like your teeth are protruding once the veneers have been applied. Your dentist will then take an impression of your teeth and send it to a lab where a custom set of veneers matching the color of your teeth will be made for you.
How to Care for Cosmetic Procedures
In order to take proper care of your veneers, you need to:
- Brush twice a day while holding your brush at a 40-degree angle
- Change your toothbrush when it's frayed
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste, mouthwash, and water
- Eat healthy food like carrots that scrape teeth clean
- Floss at least once before bed
If you have any questions, call your Cedar Park, TX, dentist today by calling (512) 528-8900!